Monday, December 22, 2014

One Click Away by Linda S. Glaz



As little as 50 years ago, our world was still a very big place, but today: internet, facebook, international phone conferencing, texting, all of these make our world a small place. A place where words and thoughts are transmitted in nano-seconds to others.
Years ago, when young pioneers left their families to “Go West”, most never saw their folks again. Thank God those days are gone. I can connect with my kids thousands of miles away every single day.
Or, imagine, if you will, the news two-thousand years ago about a baby being born in a manger. Can you see the angel putting it on facebook? It being shared by millions in no time at all?
Instead, the message had to pass through a night lighted by torches and a star. No phone calls announced His birth, no text messages telling the family that Mary and the baby were ‘fine’. An angel heralded his birth, spoke it in words. “Be not afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people.” ALL THE PEOPLE. Not a few, not a handful, not one country or another, but ALL the people.
As writers, agents, editors, words are very important to us, but none so inspiring as the angel’s. “…for ALL the people.” That includes Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Humanists, Satanists, lifestyles other than our own. And all that is needed for anyone is to take up the promise and follow Him.
While it’s for all of us, we don’t all choose to follow. And it isn’t difficult. He doesn’t ask us to give up a thing. Come as you are! Come to the table and only be hungry and thirsty.
Years ago when I read about the young man, a drug addict, who performed the part of Jesus in Jesus Christ Superstar, I was appalled to learn that he would go onto the stage high. After reading more, I realized that when he came to Christ, it took him almost two years to get ‘clean’. He continued to perform the part high on drugs. But Jesus accepted him as he was.
A small world? Yes, it’s become a very small world. Most of our friends and family are just one click away from us. Their pictures, their thoughts.
And so is Christ. Just one or two words away. “Forgive me.” “Come into my heart.”
One click brings us closer to the world, one word brings us closer to Christ.
Merry Christmas and blessings to you and yours this wonderful holiday season!

12 comments:

Diana Flegal said...

Linda, This resonated with me today in a huge way as I have been much in prayer for so many I love that have not chosen to follow. I believe if they came face to face as the shepherds did long ago, they would realize He came for them. My prayer is I step aside and allow Him access. Beautifully put. Thank you. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Linda Glaz said...

And to you, Diana. You'd think millions would come to Christ so quickly in today's 'fast' paced age, but alas, I think we are more skeptical than they were long, long ago. Blessings to you as well.

Davalyn Spencer said...

Sometimes I long for that shepherds-night quiet so I can hear the angels say 'Glory to God.' Just a click away - I like that. Merry Christmas!

Linda Glaz said...

Ah, yes. I'm thinking none of us will ever know that kind of peace again, but we can always hope!!!

Wendy L. Macdonald said...

Thank you, Linda, for the lovely reminder of how simple it is for us to call out to Christ. And those we love and pray for can come as they are to the God of Grace. He'll take care of the transformation that takes place in those that trust. Christmas blessings to all. ❀

Linda Glaz said...

Amen, Wendy. I once saw a friend, the last person in the world I ever expected to find Christ, come to Him. It was amazing. There is always hope for people, for writers' works, for everyone and everything.

Unknown said...

I was a missionary kid in Bangkok in the 1960s; back then our parents said goodbye to loved ones and literally did not hear their voices for five-year stints. Once, during an emergency, someone did place an international phone call that went via sub-oceanic cable (and cost $5 a minute). So we live in a different era now, thank God, but the challenge of winsomely sharing Jesus is still as real. Thanks for a very good Christmas post, Linda.

Linda Glaz said...

Thanks so much, David. I remember when I lived in Spain for three years, we called on birthdays...sometimes, and Christmas for about two minutes each time. It was soooo expensive. My, how times have changed.

Joyce Hart said...

Excellent piece, Linda!

Linda Glaz said...

Thanks so much!

Jackie Layton said...

Merry Christmas, Linda!

Linda Glaz said...

Merry Christmas!!!