Thursday, December 4, 2014

Christmas Hills and Valleys by Terry Burns

Christmas can be the most joyous time of year.

It usually is for our family.

But for some reason it can also be a very difficult time. Within our family, our church family, and among our friends it just seems things happen this time of year. Many are having problems, illness, and we have even lost friends and family members right in the midst of the season. I lost my dad and my brother, my only sibling, the same year during the Christmas season. That was a difficult year.

Why do the valleys seem to be more prevalent this time of year? Or is it just the comparison? We are supposed to be so happy right now, is it just more noticeable when things happen to be a damper on that happiness? I don't know.

I do know some that are sick are trying to hang on to have one more Christmas with family and whether they make it or not that puts it in the midst of the season.

I'm not writing this to be a downer, but just to recognize the hills and valleys of Christmas. The Lord doesn't want us to be sad, and the celebration of His birth should be cause for great celebration. But it should also be a time for being sensitive to what other people are going through. It's ironic that the happier some people are, the more difficult it seems to make it for people that are not in such a good place with their life.

For writers there can be a lot of news coming down that is not so good as editors and yes, agents tend to use this time of year to clean out their in-boxes. Things that merit further examination is put off for the new year and the projects that will be passed on get contacted.

I hope you and yours enjoy a hilltop experience this Christmas, and I hope in your joy that you are also aware of those who need an extra touch right now. God did not promise that we would not have troubles, but he did promise to be with us and to help us through them. One of the main ways he gives this help is through his people. I don't know how those that are not believers get through adversity, but I know when I have needed it that my faith has gotten me through, and my Christian brothers and sisters have always been there for me.

As the season begins to unfold may you all have a joyous celebration of the birth of our Lord.

2 comments:

Audrey said...

Thank you for this touching message. I was just diagnosed with ALS last week, and I'm trying hard to not let this personal valley take away the joy of this season.
God bless your words Terry!

Anonymous said...

God bless you, Audrey. May I share a blog I found? Bill was diagnosed with ALS 17 years ago. He is such an inspiration to me, and I hope you find that, too.
http://unshakablehope.wordpress.com