Wednesday, December 17, 2014

A Year in Review by Diana Flegal



This week I received several notifications in my email box, mentioning my year in review. My twitter year in review, etc.

I look back this time of year same as others. How many of my clients had a book release, received a contract, or won an award?  

Psalm 90:12 says, “Teach us to number our days that we may gain a heart of wisdom.”

Looking back helps us to make adjustments, so we can better move forward.

As writers, consider the adjustments you want to make this New Year to earn a different response from that agent or editor.

Practice showing instead of telling, tighten up your writing by learning to eliminate unnecessary words, deepen your characters POV (point of view), read that writing resource book, and hone your writing skills.

The result will be different next time, and you will be closer to your goal.

Niccolo Machiavelli said: The wise man does at once what the fool does eventually.

Let’s be wise.

7 comments:

Davalyn Spencer said...

Sometimes there are so many things I want to do that I 'frustrate out' and don't do any of them! I need to approach my writing like I do my shopping: with a list - then just start knocking off the items one by one.

Great post!

Rick Barry said...

Davalyn stole my thunder, but yes, agreed. Never good to assume we have "arrived." Early on I noticed multi-published authors sitting in conference workshops and soaking up the same lessons as freshmen writers. None of us so good we can't improve by taking stock and picking an area to improve in.

Diana Flegal said...

Our goals should always get bigger and press us to a more excellent level. I too Barry admire those that continue to grow. They are the writers I enjoy reading chronologically. And Davalyn, that is why I am a BIG fan of the Movie, "What About Bob". I baby step my way forward in life. It works for me :-)

Bryan said...

Thanks for your post! It was an encouraging read for the stage of writing I am in!

Linda Glaz said...

Amen. Just keep doing our best and pressing forward. We can't ask more of ourselves than that.

Kimberly Rae said...

You're so right, Diana! I'm finding that one of the best ways to grow as a writer is to find another writer whose style I like to read and study, study, study them. Analyzing great writer's work is proving better for me that the technical instruction.

Here's to a year of improvement for us all!

Diana Flegal said...

Bryan, glad you are encouraged. Kimberly, I am always surprised when I ask an author pitching me a genre they do not read in. You are def. on the right path. Linda, that is so true, we will eventually get there. :-)