Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Fun With Punctuation by Andy Scheer



Check this infographic and smile.

I compare punctuation marks to the yellow and black signs along a twisting highway. They alert you that you’ll soon need to turn. If you ignore the sign, you may end up in the ditch.

Like the samples from a recent infographic, “Punctuation Matters.”

You’ll find ten sometimes-comical illustrations of why commas, colons, hyphens, apostrophes, quotation marks, semicolons, and Oxford commas matter.

For example:
 Twenty five-dollar bills
vs.
Twenty-five dollar bills

I find inspiration in cooking my family and my dog.
vs.
I find inspiration in cooking, my family, and my dog.

I’m sorry I love you.
vs.
I’m sorry; I love you.

Check the infographic. Click, smile, and learn.

1 comment:

Diana Flegal said...

A fun post Andy! I am 1/2 Pennsylvania Dutch. My cousins always amused me. For example they would say, "Throw mama down the stairs, her hat." You can not take them literally, but must use context.