Monday, September 7, 2015

There’s a Hitch in my Gitalong by Linda S. Glaz



And in a few other places as I awaken, groan, and take my few steps. I know you know what I mean. And the expression is spot on!
When you sit down to write, do you take into consideration the area/region that you’re writing about? Do you think about what words and expressions they use in that area? Do you sprinkle them throughout your work, or do you overwhelm your project with so many expressions your reader will need a book of colloquialisms to navigate?
When I write my stories and include a cold glass of pop in it. Do you imagine the 80s treat Pop Rocks, or do you think of your dad dunked in a glass of ice? Okay, so I’m from Michigan, and we understand that pop, Vernors, and Faygo are all related. Pop being any kind of soda, Vernors the ONLY brand of ginger ale that counts, and Faygo, a pop with so many flavors your taste buds barely have time to keep up. Once I realized that pop is primarily used in Michigan and some other parts of the Midwest, I knew I had to be sure my reader understood the term. And using Vernors and Faygo allowed the reader a new experience.
Put some local flavor into your novels, but don’t overwhelm your reader, his palette might not be as discerning as yours.

10 comments:

Elaine Stock said...

Fascinating topic, Linda! While I never heard of Vernors or Faygo, just living in NY State is confusing: stretching from NYC to north, toward Canada, and spreading almost to central NY (seems like the changing point is Utica), a soda is a soda. But, once you pass that mid state point and head west, it becomes pop. Boggles a writer's mind, for sure.

I'll be drinking plenty of water today, trying to keep cool from the heat and word confusion :)

Linda Glaz said...

Yeah, I think you get some of the midwest influence once you are in W NY. Faygo's a great pop, Vernors the best ginger ale EVER, and you can only get it in a few places. It is SO good!

Deborah Dee Harper said...

Linda, having grown up and spent a good share of my... uh, many years living in Michigan, the word "pop" is ingrained in me and I cannot bring myself to ask for a soda. Down here in Tennessee, though, I don't think they even bother with soda--they call everything Coke. How they know what kind of pop you want is beyond me. Maybe they have some kind of southern telepathy. My daughter lives in Kentucky, and if you ask for pop there, they stare at you as if you're an alien from across the galaxy. Thanks for a great post! (And yes, Vernors is the best!)

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda, "Pop" it is in western pa as well. Faygo we know and love, but don't use as a generic term.

Happy Labor Day, Joe

Linda Glaz said...

Cool. Yeah, I think we midwesterners take it seriously. POP

Linda Glaz said...

Deb, the kids were at school in VA and said everything there was Coke as well. They asked for an orange Coke, a lemon/lime Coke, etc. So funny!

Andy Scheer, Hartline Literary said...

Vernors is to ginger ale as Altoids are to peppermints.

Linda Glaz said...

Altoids must be totally awesome :)

Joyce Hart said...


We love Vernor's. We can buy it here in Western PA. Faygo too. We grew up in Iowa and drank pop there.

Linda Glaz said...

Most of us Midwesterners grew up having Vernors with any sickness. Got a fever? Drink Vernors. Tummy ache...Vernors. It was the solution to everything when we were sick and then just to enjoy!