Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Fun With Words by Diana Flegal



Words can make us feel things emotionally. Hearing a voice recording of a loved one long gone squeezes our heart.

Or the first cry of a new born brings tears of joy.

And sometimes, what I think I have read- can crack me up.

The other day I was driving down the road and saw this sign: Heritage Adultday Retreat 

I read it to say: Heritage Adultery Retreat

I chuckled on for miles, imagining the workshops that might be presented at that weekend gathering.

In a week I will be attending the Philadelphia Christian Writers Conference. In reviewing my bio posted on their website, I read this:  Coming alongside of her authors, encouraging them in their long term writing goals and career development is her greatest joy. She enjoys connecting her clients with others of like interest through social media, reading, hiking, and river rafting.

What it seems to say is that I use reading, hiking and river rafting to connect authors.  Made me chuckle. I would like to be able to do some networking through social media while river rafting but I might get my smart phone wet and I am not sure I could Skype while navigating the French Broad River. In my haste to send in my bio, I forgot a very important punctuation mark.

She enjoys:

That would have made what I meant to say much clearer. Albeit less funny. :-)

Other road signs I have come across: 

  •     Homade Fries
  •     Farwood Fer sale
  •     Leteracy night 
  •     Congradulations Spelling Bee Winners

And we can not forget Church Bulletin Bloopers:
  •     Remember in prayer the many who are sick of our church and the community. 
  •     The ladies of the church have cast off clothing of every kind and they may be seen in the church basement Friday.  
  •     Next weeks message will be: Don't let worries kill you. Let the church help.     
  •     For those of you who have children and don't know it, we have a nursery downstairs.

And then there is the person who got a tattoo that reads: Love Concurs All

I would ask for my money back. :-(

Oops, this almost slipped by me when writing to a client about building a platform: ... then you have 'fiends' that  care enough to promote your title.

Have you read or written any particular words lately that have made you smile?








7 comments:

Robin Bayne said...

Yesterday I watched a video of assorted game show bloopers.

One of my faves-- man is asked to name an animal that has 3 letters. He says "frog." Then his partner is asked the same and he says "alligator."

Anyone needing a laugh, Google game show bloopers. Good clean fun.

Diana Flegal said...

Thanks Robin :-)

Linda Glaz said...

Yes, we have to choose our words wisely. I have a yard sale one year and had a bunch of VHS tapes to put out, a couple hundred actually. I had lots for kids and family, and ones I wouldn't consider kids movies. So I had a sign that said Adult Movies. I couldn't figure out why men kept trolling along by that rack of movies until my son-in-law said, "Well, they think they're ADULT movies." Wink wink. I almost died, because I'd seen a pastor friend walk past the sign. What he must have thought!!!!

Davalyn Spencer said...

Years ago my husband saw a classified ad for a complete waterbed set with heather. He wanted to call and find out what Heather was like but I wouldn't let him.

Other than that, my fav is "Let's eat, Grandma." ... or ... "Let's eat Grandma." Mighty important little comma there.

Thanks for the chuckles, Diana.

Unknown said...

I find that the older I get, the more I misread things in a humorous way. (Maybe it's the eyesight?) Plus--I would totally be up for river rafting as client connection.

Diana Flegal said...

LOL let's schedule it Jill. :-)

Diana Flegal said...

Linda and Davalyn, you both made me giggle!