Wednesday, July 30, 2014

A Few Favorite Quotes by Diana Flegal



I like to begin my workshops by sharing a few of my favorite quotes. Today I am going to share a few of them in the hopes they may inspire you, make you laugh and above all, help us not to take ourselves too seriously!

Writers aren’t exactly people…they are a whole lot of people trying to be one person.
                                                                            F. Scott Fitzgerald (1896-1940)

I write because I want more than one life; I insist on a wider selection. It is greed plain and simple. When my characters join the circus, I’m joining the circus. Although I’m happily married, I spend a great deal of time mentally living with incompatible husbands.
                                                                                         Ann Tyler (1941-    )

I suggest that the only books that influence us are those for which we are ready, and which have gone a little further down our particular path than we have yet gone ourselves.
                                                                                          E. M. Forster       
                                                                                          Two Cheers for Democracy” (1951)

A well composed book is a magic carpet on which we are wafted to a world that we cannot enter in any other way.                                                               Caroline Gordan (1895-1981)
   
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.                                                                                Samuel Rushdie
                                                                                          Imaginary Homelands (1992)

In all my work what I try to say is that as human beings we are more alike than we are unalike.
                                                                                           Maya Angelou
                                                                                           Interview in The New York Times                                                
                                                                                           (January 20, 1993)

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn’t give it up because by that time I was too famous.                             Robert Benchley (1889-1945)

I should not talk so much about myself if there were anybody else whom I knew as well. Unfortunately, I am confined to this theme by the narrowness of my experience.
                                                                                            Henry David Thoreau
                                                                                            Walden (1854)      

I like a thin book because it will steady a table, a leather volume because it will strop a razor, and a heavy book because it can be thrown at a cat.                                 Mark Twain (1835-1910)

And last but not least:

Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of the night. 
                                                                                              Attributed to P. J. O’Rouke (1947-

"The last thing that we find in making a book is to know what we must put first."                                                                                              Blaise Pascal

Please add a few of your own. 


                                                                                                                

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diane, I love the magic carpet quote. Here's one that I've made up.

There's joy in creating a place with people that otherwise wouldn't have existed, and this joy is doubled when readers come and visit the author's imaginary world.

Blessings ~ Wendy ❀

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Diana, for calling you by the wrong name. ❀

Linda Glaz said...

I love Robert Benchley's quote.

Diana Flegal said...

Wendy, I like your made up one and no problem re my name, I get that often. :-) Linda, me too. So funny, I feel that way about agenting lol