Home About Hartline   Our Agents   Our Authors   Submissions   Blog   Contact Us

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Would You Read On? hosted by Diana Flegal

Would You Read On? Please let us know in the comment section below.




THE VIEWING        
The first time I laid eyes on the stranger he was stretched out flat on his back in the sunshine on the edge of my great Uncle Enoch’s sweet tater patch.
Dressed in a fancy Sunday-go-to-meeting suit with his hands pulled up and across his chest, he looked an awful lot like a dead man fixing to be tossed down into a burying hole, but I reckoned right away he wasn’t. I came close, close enough to see his chest was rising and falling so I knew he was breathing, slow and steady like a turtle taking a stroll down the road, but he was breathing.
Seeing him sort of sudden like I did came close to scaring the life plum out of me, so I whirled around and tore off down the hill to the barn to get my Papa.
With my overalls’ strap loose and flapping in the breeze, and my bare feet making a slapping noise against the dirt path as I ran, I commenced to hollering long before I ever reached the old barn.
“Papa! Papa! There’s a man stretched out in the tater field behind the hog pen. You’ve gotta come.”
Papa didn’t answer, didn’t even so much as peek his head out of the barn, so I called out to him again.
“Papa! Papa, are you in there?”
I rounded the front of the barn. With both my hands, and leaning all my weight against it, I cracked open one of the old, weathered doors. The barn smell I was in love with smacked me in the face as the door squeaked open. The odor of leather saddles, horse manure, and fresh cut hay was a welcoming aroma to me and no matter how many hours a day I spent inside, I never tired of being in the old barn.
“Papa, you need to come quick,” I said, huffing and puffing and out of breath from the run. “There’s a stranger laid out behind the hog pen.”
He didn’t respond. He didn’t even turn or look my way. Matter of fact, I wasn’t sure at that moment he even believed what I was saying, which would have hurt my feelings a bit if I hadn’t been prone to lying.



We want to thank author Pauline Creeden for offering us her first page last week. I thought it was fun having a Steampunk page on our blog.

Stop by Pauline's website to learn more about her and this genre.

4 comments:

Sandra Ardoin said...

I would definitely read on, but I'd like to know a little more about the man and MC. Young? Old? The description is good, puts me in the setting, except for the people--not even the father. Not knowing if this is a middle reader, YA or adult novel, I'd like to have a hint about the MC. I don't know if this is a boy or a girl, or approximately what age. I think that's important so the reader can form a certain image in the mind while reading.

The last line about being prone to lying was a good hook.

Becky Doughty said...

Absolutely. Sounds like a fun read - can't tell if this is going to be a mystery or some family drama or what... but I think the opening pages are intriguing and very well-written.

Nice work,
Becky

Davalyn Spencer said...

Yes, I would read on.

vonildawrites said...

I'd read on, for sure. I liked the tom-sawyer-like voice and wanted to find out why some dude is laying asleep in the family's field.