Thursday, November 24, 2011

It's Thanksgiving! by Terry Burns

Oh yeah, turkey and dressing, side dishes, deserts and good friends to share the meal, then there is the football game coming up and . . .

and . . .

what am I thinking? Thanksgiving is not about food and football.

The name says it all. Thanksgiving is about stopping to count our blessings and to give thanks to our creator for all He has given us, and I don't know about you but Saundra and I have been blessed far beyond what we have any right to expect.

The greatest blessing, that I'm afraid we Christians too often take for granted, is the gift of our salvation. We didn't earn that and there is nothing we could do to deserve it. It is an unthinkable gift from a loving father, one we don't stop to give thanks for often enough.

Then there is our health, we are indeed blessed there. Sure, at our age we have some small issues, but overall we have been blessed in that department our entire lives.

We're blessed with family, five kids, ten grandkids, one great-grandson and yet another great grandkid on the way. What a huge blessing, and they are all happy and healthy and we are immensely grateful.

We have a nice home that is paid for and fits our needs very well. We don't have a lot of money but our finances are stable and we have what we need. Oh sure, there are things that we want, we wouldn't be human if there weren't things we'd like to have, but I can't think of a thing that we REALLY NEED that we don't have.

We really miss mom, particularly on holidays, but we console ourselves knowing how wonderfully happy she is and who she is with. Today of all days I remember a statement she made to me once, "I've never been hurt, never been mistreated, never been hungry. I've walked with the Lord all my life and it has been a wonderful life." She said something like that just months before she passed on, and thinking back on it that would pretty much go for me as well. I've had some hard times, but overall have been blessed my entire life and like mom have walked with the Lord for all of it.

I'm going to cut me off a big slice of gratitude and completely cover it with praise gravy because that is going to be my main focus today, giving thanks. And maybe having a little dressing on the side.

What have YOU got to be thankful for?

4 comments:

Davalyn Spencer said...

What have I got to be thankful for? Basically, that life is so unfair. I'm mighty grateful that I don't get what I deserve. Thank God for his great mercy, love, and faithfulness.

Davalyn Spencer said...

I almost forgot: I am thankful that I won't be out shopping on Black Friday, but will be home on my sofa with a good book and a turkey-cranberry-sauce sandwich.

Linda Glaz said...

And the blessings just keep on coming. God is sooo good, all the time, even when we don't see what is behind His actions.

Cheryl Linn Martin said...

Thanks for the reminder, Terry! I try to thank God for my blessings, especially my salvation, every day--first thing before I even get out of bed.

Blessings to you and your family.