Wednesday, January 27, 2016

One Word Difference by Diana Flegal

I am currently reading a book by Austin Kleon titled Show Your Work: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Noticed.


It is phenomenal. Profound and simplistic. I would give it 6 stars on Amazon if I was able.


Austin said: If you want to be more effective when sharing yourself and your work, you need to become a better storyteller. You need to know what a good story is and how to tell one.


He then shares this quote by John le Carre':


"'The cat sat on a mat' is not a story, 'The cat sat on the dog's mat' is a story."


I agree, do you?


1 comment:

Marlene Banks said...

Yes, Diana, I agree. Good storytelling is a gift and an art. One that needs to be honed and polished for the publishing industry. Regardless to education and formulaic writing expertise, you still need a good story. With today's highly competitive market you actually need a great story just to be considered. Sometimes I think the art of excellent storytelling is undervalued in today's market. Natural storytellers are pressured to wear so many other hats that the story gets lost in the frenzy. I guess that's the nature of the business but it's not necessarily the foundation of good storytelling. However what good is a story if no one reads it? Ah, there's the rub...