Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Your Best-Known Work by Andy Scheer

Something you create may cast a long shadow. I hope it's a work you like.

Burl Ives had an amazing voice and a career that spanned many decades. I'm sure he never suspected that of all his performances, the one that would become most popular would stem from a little gig doing the narration and a few songs for a made-for-TV production of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.

This Christmas season, like every one for decades, you can't escape Ives singing “Have a Holly Jolly Christmas.”

A friend who has getting published for decades says her most-reprinted article remains one of her first. A marriage magazine held the manuscript for years before finally printing the piece. Today it remains one of the most popular on the magazine's website.

Those thoughts motivated me as I completed a week's worth of devotions. The assignment included the daily Scripture readings, so I only needed to provide some personal reflection. Just another writing job – but potentially much more. A year from now, thousands of strangers will read my words.

Will one of those themes cast a long shadow? Perhaps. All the more reason to treat everything I write as though it will.

2 comments:

Rick Barry said...

These are worthy thoughts, Andy. I've often reflected on the fact that a simple devotional can touch untold thousands of people for a long while. Recently I rejoiced to learn that my pastor's daughter had clipped an article I wrote for Brio magazine and had it taped to her bedroom mirror literally for years. (Not until a couple months ago did she realize I'm the author.) Believers dare not approach their writing as a quick gig to earn money. The potential fruit is far more valuable.

Andy Scheer, Hartline Literary said...

Rick:

Congratulations on having touched lives through an article in Brio. Nothing against books, but consider the circulation of any magazine against the print run of a book by all but the most famous authors.
-- Andy