Monday, September 24, 2012

Bullriders and Writers by Linda S. Glaz

Sitting in front of my computer, I’m half listening to the bullriding championships on the small tv that sits on a stand next to my desk. I like noise when I’m working unless I’m reading. But I digress.
As I watch these fellas getting bucked off, I wonder just what makes them hop back on again? Because the next time I watch, there’s the same guy with optimism all over his face ready to go one more time in spite of the aching joints and gouge marks in his skin.
One of the bulls just stumbled and is now on probation for life. If he ever stumbles onto a rider again, he’ll be banned from the rodeo. (I didn’t know they had such strict guidelines for the bulls) Anyway, when he stumbled, he kicked the rider in the gut as I sat here mesmerized wondering whether or not the rider would get back up. HE DID!
What about riding bulls has me so enthralled? I can tell you in one word: writers! Now, a lot of you athletes out there will laugh at this, but tell me what’s not the same?
In the arena at the rodeo:
Bullrider puts all his ability out there, rides the snot spewing bull or gets kicked in the gut and walks away in pain.
At an appointment at a writers’ conference:
Writer puts all his ability out there, meets with the snot spewing editor/agent (oh, my, I hope not) and either gets an offer or gets kicked in the gut and walks away in pain.
I have finally found my connection to bullriders. They are like writers. They endure great gouges of pain to get up, brush themselves off, and climb on the bull again.
And who walks away with the prize? The rider/writer who knows that the secret is to keep climbing back on until you ride it out and walk home with the trophy.
Happy trails…

7 comments:

greatlakeschapter said...

At this year's ACFW conference, we attendees were privileged to see a number of contracts and awards given to friends who had endured many throws and kicks over the years and finally achieved their goals. So happy for them!

Linda Glaz said...

Amen,Rick. It all boils down to whether or not a person has a thick enough skin they can be gored over and over and still get up. Otherwise, they are in the wrong biz! Glad for the good report!

Joanne Sher said...

LOVE it, Linda :)

Terry Burns said...

As someone who has actually been on one of those critters (back in the day when it sounded like a good idea) and has the belt buckle to prove it, I related a lot to this posting. I'll admit I had never made the comparison before, but it is a good one.

Linda Glaz said...

Not sure I would have either, Terry, if I hadn't been watching at the time. Now I feel like I can empathize with them more.

Davalyn Spencer said...

Good analogy, Linda. Both are rough endeavors. In bull riding, the cowboy's body will follow his focus. Some make the mistake of looking at the ground - and they end up there. Guess we just need to keep focused on the writing.

Sandra Ardoin said...

I love that connection, Linda! And Davalyn made a good point about focus. Mind-set and determination are also big. I've seen some bullriders hang on for that last second or two even though all seems lost and they're riding the side of the bull. They're the pros.