Monday, September 5, 2011

How Do They Do It? by Linda S. Glaz

I’m not sure how they do it.
Authors who write what they don’t love.

I can’t imagine sitting down at the keyboard or pad, trying to get the creative juices flowing by writing something I don’t read or don’t particularly even like. Writers do it all the time, but I just don’t understand what drives them. I always think of Jack Nicholson as the male romance writer in As Good As it Gets when he talked about getting inside a woman’s head for his novels. Removing logic, etc. to make it believable for women.

Thanks, Jack!

But there ARE writers, writing what they don’t even like—because it sells.
I love first responder stories, probably the leftover military in me. I love to read romance and/or suspense about military, law enforcement, and firefighters. Anyone in a protective role.

What drives you? Is it the dream of fame, money, or do you write what you love because you just have to?

7 comments:

Davalyn Spencer said...

You got it, Linda: I write because I "just have to."

Patty Wysong said...

There are some articles I write for a women's site that I just do NOT enjoy writing. I do it because I've been writing for/with them for a couple years now, even though I don't agree with them doctrinally. I've asked God several times if I could leave that site, but haven't felt released yet--maybe I'm there to provide some balance to counter the legalism? I don't know. But I know I'm supposed to be there through this year...

Over all, I write because I know this is what God has for me to do. Whether I'm published or not. I feel fulfilled when I write, that I'm obeying God and totally loving it. Not writing makes me miserable. I've tried it.

Terry Burns said...

I really surprised a young lady at a conference that was discouraged and said she thought she would just quit writing. She asked if I thought she should quit and was really taken back when I said yes. She just stood there blinking at me and I went on, "If you CAN quit you should. This business is very difficult, takes a lot of patience and dedication, and we have to be able to weather a lot of feedback and rejection. Most who are successful at it simply CAN'T quit, they have to keep going no matter what. If you can walk away from doing it that easily I would counsel you to do so."

Anonymous said...

I have a burning desire in my heart to share the gospel of Christ and the gift of salvation with my readers, whether they be kids or adults. I can't NOT write because I feel it is a calling-a high one that I shouldn't neglect.
Marsha Hubler

Linda Glaz said...

Terry, I totally agree with you. I got told no for 14 til I met you. Granted, I had gotten very serious about my writing at that point, but hey, persistence pays.
PERSEVERE! Never quit!

Story and Logic Media Group said...

When I'm not able to write I get cranky.

Katherine Hyde said...

I write what I love. I can't write most of the genres that sell best because I don't love them, don't even read them, can't begin to get inside those readers' heads. I just hope there are enough people out there who like what I like to make a career for me!