Monday, September 12, 2011

Best Laid Plans by Linda S. Glaz

We all have grand plans from time to time. Sometimes they come to pass, other times, we simply hope and then put the plan aside for another time.

Our lives are carved with extreme care as we dream about tomorrow, but what is God’s plan for our lives? Do the two coincide?

Our characters should also have dreams, plans, grand visions for their lives.
What dream or plan have you had that has been snatched from your hands for whatever reason? Maybe God simply said “No” and you had to put the dream away for a time. Hearing about others’ dreams and visions helps us to make richer characters in our novels: characters with depth, weaknesses, and strength.

Care to share one?

4 comments:

Patty Wysong said...

I was an MK and missions is engrained in me. I was at Moody Bible Institute so I could go into missions myself, so was my husband.

We're not in missions. And even after 22 years it's something that I have to work at accepting and letting go of, in spite of hindsight clearly showing missions wouldn't have been right for us.

It's one of those things I simply have to trust God with.

Davalyn Spencer said...

I think expectation can get in the way of our dreams. They are very close, but they are not the same thing. Expectation has often clouded my eyes and kept me from seeing the formation of my dream along the paths of God’s design. (Matt.16:22) Watching this happen with a fictional character and seeing that character submit (or not) to God’s interpretation of the dream can generate hope in the heart of the reader. Who is to say that the Christian fiction writer is not delivering the Lord’s healing and encouragement to an otherwise unreached soul in need? Like a missionary, perhaps?

Diana Flegal said...

Joyce Meyer recently said, 'We can not worship our plans' and I often quote Robert Burns: “The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley.” or often go astray!

Story and Logic Media Group said...

Sign on a local church:

"Make your plans but give God the eraser."

After several weeks they changed it to:

"Want to make God laugh? Tell Him your plans."