Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Benefits of Entering a Writers Contest by Diana Flegal


Entering a writers contest presents a great way to hone your writer’s skills and perform an exercise in tight writing.


WRITER'S DIGEST sponsors several writing competitions annually. www.writersdigest.com

1) Annual Short Short Story Writing Competition

2) 79th Annual Writing Competition

3) International Self-Published Book Awards

4) Pop Fiction Awards

5) Poetry Awards Competition

6) Your Story

Every other month, Writer's Digest presents a creative challenge for fun and prizes. They provide a short, open-ended prompt. In turn, you'll submit a short story of 750 words or fewer based on that prompt. You can be funny, poignant, witty, etc.; it is, after all, your story. The winner will receive publication in an upcoming issue of Writer's Digest.

For rules, prompts, deadlines, voting and other details about the Your Story competition, visit: www.writersdigest.com/yourstory

Fiction Factor online Mag offers a list of writing contest as well as an opportunity to write and have your articles published. www.fictionfactor.com/contests.html

Several links that offer you lists of Fiction and Non fiction writing contests are listed below.

http://www.manuscriptediting.com/contests.htm

http://www.newpages.com/literary/contests.htm

http://proofpositive.com/contests/writecontests.php


http://writingcontests.wordpress.com/category/non-fiction-contests/


Have fun playing around with words and remember- if you win this is the type of thing you can place with pride in your proposal as well.

From my heart to yours,

Diana

8 comments:

Jeanette Levellie said...

Diana: Thank you for posting about this. I've seen the ads in Writers Digest and have been tempted to enter, but I wonder if my overt godliness would be a drawback with some judges. What do you think? Will they judge based on skill and style, or toss me out because of my halo? (That was a joke)

Jeanette Levellie said...

What I meant to say is that I often mention the Lord in my writing, not that I'm so godly I shine.

Diana Flegal said...

Jen, I would go for it! Show off that Halo!

Caroline said...

LOL Jeanette, you'll just have to enter OFTEN so the judges will get the idea of what a wonderful, funny, and quirky person you are. They'll soon accept that haloed part of you. :)

Thanks for the post, Diana. I love Writer's Digest.

http://sunnebnkwrtr.blogspot.com

Pegg Thomas said...

750 words?! Egads! I am entering my 2nd contest in September at the Maranatha Christian Writer's Conference in Muskegon, MI. The word limit is 2,000 and I thought THAT was short. I enjoyed the experience last year, looking forward to this year.

Millie Samuelson said...

Hi awesome agent Diana -- this is GREAT info! Thanks heaps! And hey, in case you read my comment, I'd like your permission, please, to post this when it's my turn to blog on Hoosier Ink in August. Hope you say YES! If you don't reply here, I know where to find you. . . :-)

Diana Flegal said...

Millie;
You have our permission to borrow the article :-)
Diana

Millie Samuelson said...

THANKS heaps, Diana! :-)