Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Diana's Review of the 7 Decisions for Personal Success


In the final chapter of The Travelers Gift, Seven Decisions for Personal Success, before our traveler returns to his family, he walks into the future and glimpses the probabilities of his personal success due to the application of the Seven Decisions.

Last night our book club met. Our leader choose this book for our Feb. read. I wanted to wait before writing this final blog to hear what they had to say about this book and how the author, Andy Andrews, wrapped the story up in it's final chapter. And an interesting discussion it was. Some ladies felt the books focus was too material. Should financial gain be our focus as a believer? We agreed not. Others did not take it that way at all, seeing the practical aspects of the decisions for a believer in all aspects of our lives. All agreed that the decisions themselves were great and that anyone who would put these decisions into practice will have a different life than they might have if they do not. A more successful life, not necessarily materially successful, but spiritually and inter personally in our relationships as well.

We spoke about the word of God, how we are to meditate on it, believe God wrote that book for us to have the opportunity to get to know Him. In Proverbs and all throughout we see divine principles that if we heed, will result in less pain and heartache to the believer and a more abundant life offered to us by a loving God. In the end we gave it a thumbs up as a great read and we appreciated getting acquainted with the Seven Decisions.

For review I have listed them here in one place for your consideration as you consider your goals for 2010.

7 Decisions for Personal Success:

1: The buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future.
2: I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others.
3: I am a person of action. I seize this moment. I choose now.
4: I have a decided heart.
5: Today I will choose to be happy. I am the possessor of a grateful spirit.
6: I will great this day with a forgiving spirit. I will forgive myself.
7. I will persist without exception. I am a person of great faith.

May this year bring you to a place where you are experiencing all that God has in store for you in your writing goals and personal relationships. May those success' bring Glory and Honor to He who has given us, 'everything we need for life and godliness'.

From my heart to yours,
Diana

5 comments:

Jeanette Levellie said...

Diana: I loved this book, and gained much wisdom from it. It's frame of historical events made it fascinating, and easy to read.

Thank you for reiterating our need to rely on God and breathe out His life, not for fame or fortune but for His glory.

The fun thing is, when my heart is set on Him, He prospers me beyond my wildest dreams. He's a giver through and through.

Caroline said...

I echo Jeanette's apt comments. Loved the posts you presented for this book, and how true. Our reliance on God is what gives us the peace and security in knowing God has control of our lives.

Thanks for sharing!

writer jim said...

When my editor reads my amazing experiences with God {often about me helping others, etc) she sometimes asks, "Didn't God give you a giant reward {$$$) in return?
This is sad to me because today Christians are taught to "do and give" in order to RECIEVE...rather than being taught the whole truth of what the Bible says about $$$.

I looked at your seven steps as useful to become a better servant of God, rather than to suceed in gaining personal $$$ success.
My greatest ever moment of success happened at my daughter's fifth birthday party: We had left the group of girls in a room alone to chat for a few minutes. I just happened to hear one of them brag real loud, "My Daddy is a doctor!" Then each of the other girls spoke up bragging about their Dads.
I listened to see what my daughter would say, thinking she would brag about my impressive unusual hobbies, etc. But she said, "My Daddy LOVES GOD!"
The girls all kept on telling different things about their fathers. Yet every single time my child always said the same thing, "My Daddy loves God."
That was my greatest feeling of success ever. I realized my children were so aware that my love for God is far above everything else in life.
....Bad writing, but hope I made a good point.

Diana Flegal said...

I am so grateful this review has been a blessing.
Writer Jim- oh how every parent would love to echo your story here! Wonderful praise indeed! Thanks for sharing it.

Millie Samuelson said...

OKAY -- I just bo't the book! Your blog reviews were VERY persuasive -- thanks! But I'm wondering, Diana -- why did I never hear about this book before your blogs?? Hmm. . . It sounds like a great book for my book clubs too. . . :-)