Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!


I’m writing this blog entry at midnight on January 1, 2010. We were invited to a friend’s home this evening for food, fellowship and games. We had a great time and ended the evening by praying together.

It snowed in Pittsburgh today, and snow is predicted for in the morning. The Pittsburgh tradition for New Years’ is to cook pork and sauerkraut. However, we grew up in the mid-west and we’ll do ham and beans. I guess the reason for this tradition is to use the left-over ham and the bone from Christmas for the soup. I’ll make cornbread to go along with the soup. We’ll watch the Rose Parade and have fond memories about when we lived in Pasadena and went to the parade in real life. Jim was in Bible College and sold film on the street to make a little extra money. I was expecting our first son.

2009 has been a good year in our lives. We are so blessed to be a part of the church where Jim is on staff. That’s the other hat I wear, a pastor’s wife. Along with other things we minister to the senior citizens in the church, making hospital calls, nursing home and home visits. I love being a part of that ministry with my husband.

It’s been a good year for Hartline Literary Agency. Our agents have been busy and have sold close to 130 books. Tamela, Terry & Diana are such a blessing to me. We even have a lot of fun working together!

We are blessed by the editors and publishers that we work with. Through the years I’ve heard criticism about Christian publishers. However, I have great respect for the CBA industry as a whole. None of us are perfect and we all make wrong judgments and mistakes at times.

Galatians 6:9 & 10 says “and let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are in the household of faith.” NJKV.

I pray that all of you precious authors out there do not become discouraged when your book isn’t published as soon as you’d like. Keep writing and keep knocking on those doors. I have heard of some well-known authors that have told audiences they have books at home in their drawers that never got published, but they didn’t give up, they wrote another book. Also, there have been instances when one book was a great success and the next one wasn’t. In writing and publishing as in everything in life it’s all about trusting God. It’s not always easy to accept what happens as God’s Will in our lives. However, in the end, He will make it turn out “for our good.”

My words for this coming year are TRUST GOD and keep a right ATTITUDE. Attitude is so important in whatever you are doing. You might have some disappointments in 2010, but you will also have some successes. God does not fail us. Some of the e-mails we get sent to us on the internet are kind of scary, but we have to TRUST GOD. And some of the news programs we listen to and watch on television can be alarming as well. I have to remind myself that God is in control and we are His children. Maybe 2010 will be year of His returning.

I pray God’s blessing on you and yours in this New Year.

Warmly,

Joyce

7 comments:

Connie Cameron said...

Joyce - THANK YOU for your words of encouragment. I truly needed to read them today.

I feel incredibly blessed to be one of Diana's writers and to be affiliated with your agency.

God bless you and your family,
Connie Cameron

patriciazell said...

As our world seems to be filled with more and more evil, we need to remember that God's absolute love is the only power greater than that evil. My prayer for you and your agency is that God's love will enable you to be leaders in the surge of the good news that is coming. God's love is absolute--God's love is perfect, complete, and real. Be blessed!

writer jim said...

I am so glad I found your blogsite. I can easily recognize that each agent is dedicated to serving God and pleasing God; this shows thru clearly in almost every post.
I'm sure God honors your efforts... with His guidance and blessings.

Caroline said...

Joyce, thank you for your encouragement and words of wisdom.

Millie Samuelson said...

Thanks, Joyce, for your superb reminder of Romans 8:28! What an encouraging article! May 2010 be another wonderful year for you and all of us connected through Hartline. . . :-)

Pat Jeanne Davis said...

This was an inspiring post, Joyce, and I thank you for writing it. I will continue to trust in Him not only in my writing journey but in all things because I know that all things do work together for good. The verse in Romans 13 that speaks of abounding in hope is so precious. Blessings to you in the year before us.

Carrie Fancett Pagels said...

Thank you for your encouraging post. Have a blessed new year!