Thursday, October 1, 2009


This morning Diana is interviewing her author Cindy Sproles.

Cindy tell us a little about yourself as I introduce you to our From the Heart readers.

I’m a mountain gal-- born and raised in the mountains of East Tennessee. I’m married to Tim and mom to four adult sons. (Yes 4…and I survived.) I’m an author and an office mgr. Oh, and author Eddie Jones’s side kick.

You write in different genre’s, correct?

Yes, Devotionals because God has called me to this and women’s fiction because I want to learn. Like many folks, it was not necessarily a career choice than it was simply a dream…a desire and a passion that God placed within me. I walked away from it for years thinking I wasn’t good enough, but when I finally stopped arguing with God and just began to write, good things began to happen.

What are you hoping your writing to accomplish?

I want my writing to be joyful, fun. If folks can see there is hope and happiness even in the dark times, then hopefully they’ll see the joy of Christ. When I write devotions, I hope others see my “Father’s eyes” – the love of God and the hope that He brings. If I can accomplish that, then I’ve been the servant He’s called me to be.

Where do you get your inspiration?

My inspiration comes from the mountains. I know, it sounds silly, but when I’m on the mountaintop staring across the valley, I can hear God in the whisper of the wind. That’s where He talks to me.

What is your latest published book about?


Spirit & Heart: A Devotional Journey is a 30 day devotional that teaches the reader how to develop a personal relationship with God, through daily study and a unique way of seeking Him through scripture then journaling.
Faith & Finances: In God We Trust – will come out later in the year. This is a devotional/prose book that walks readers through the many ways God works in our finances.

What do you hope people will take away from reading your book?


I hope they learn to know God in an intimate and personal way.

Is there an area in your writing that you are working on developing more?


I’m learning to write fiction. Non-fiction has always been my primary genre but I’m working on fiction. I’ve co-written a romance with Aaron Gansky and also finished a southern women’s fiction which is a bit zaney and fun. So, yes…fiction is what I’m developing.

What is your all time favorite writing ‘How To’ book? One that you would like to recommend to other authors.

Making Shapely Fiction by Jerome Stern. I love this book. It not only teaches me but it gives me examples. It’s a great book for learning to add finesse to your writing.

Have you had to overcome any obstacles in your writing journey?

I’ve learned to be more confident in my writing. It took a while for me to understand that writing is subjective and I spent a lot of time trying to please others with what I wrote. Now, I write what’s on my heart. I’ve also learned “not to marry your words.” I’ve been through one divorce, divorcing my words was not something I wanted to go through. So when I write, I keep in mind there is always a better way to say something—a better way to write it. Learning this early on, has helped me become a much better writer because I can edit without attachment—be particular about the words I keep and save the others for another day.

What is the most important thing on your current ‘To Do ‘ list?

Write my She Said devotion for Friday.

What new projects are you working on?

I’m writing a romance and working on a non-fiction book on being the parent of an adult child with mental retardation.

Where can people find out more about you and your writing? The programs and speaking that you do?

Check us out at ChristianDevotions.us. The travel schedule and speaking calendar is listed on the front page of the site.

What is the best writing advice you ever got?


The Best—Alton Gansky “When you write for God, you may never see a book on the shelves of a store, rather your words may be only meant for the guy sitting next to you. When you learn that, accept it and embrace it, your passion for the written word will only deepen. Are you willing to accept the challenge? Then practice, practice, practice and learn, learn, learn. Write, write, write.”

The worst?

“Writing is a talent, a gift…you don’t need anyone else to tell you how to write. Just do it.” –unnamed…to protect the cocky.

Cindy, Thank you for speaking with us today. We wish you all the best on those new writting projects- folks be sure to check out that devotional site. It is a great way to begin your day!
Blessings,
Diana

3 comments:

Eileen Astels Watson said...

Faith & Finances: In God We Trust sounds like an amazing book. I know our congregation would love to get hold of one of those, as finances was one of the hot "want-to-learn-more-abouts" our latest survey. I'll be watching for it's release!

Jeanette Levellie said...

Cindy:
I admire your versaility. I've written non-fiction for years, but fiction intimidates me. You prove that both can be done successfully--thanks!

Tana said...

Cindy, I love that picture of you in the fall leaves! I have three sons (and one daughter) it's nice to know this is a survivable condition. ;)

I like how you mention to write from your heart rather than please others. I think for most writers this is the biggest challenge. Great interview!