Thursday, October 22, 2009

Diana’s Christmas wish list


Plenty of Gadgets to consider for Christmas this year. Maybe you will want one of these on your list as well?

The nook $259.99



Barnes & Nobles
is claiming to have the world’s most advanced E book reader promising a better reading experience. You may check out their launch announcement at www.bn.com/nook

Nook’s screen uses electronic ink, made to read as clear and crisp as a printed page. It’s full color touch screen, encourages you to bookmark, add notes and highlight passages.

Get bestsellers and new releases, your favorite newspapers, and magazines all delivered via fast and free 3G wireless, no set up required. Great ebooks are just seconds away as you tap into the vast Barnes and Noble eBookstore. Sample any eBook for free.

Choose your next eBook using nook's beautiful color touch screen, then watch it appear instantly on the easy-to-read E Ink ® display, where text appears as crisp as a printed page. Make the text bigger, and easily bookmark, highlight, and make notes as you go.

Store as many as 1,500 eBooks, newspapers, and magazines on your nook, so you'll never be without your favorites. And with an added memory card you can keep up to 17,500. eBooks download in seconds. Many bestsellers and new releases are just $9.99, and thousands of titles are free, so you can enjoy more for less.

Amazon also launched their new Kindle reader: The Kindle DX: A Complete Primer and is available now on AMAZON for $489.00

The key feature of the new Kindle DX is its size: The DX . That's nearly 4 inches larger than the current 6-inch offering and also offer magazine and newspaper download capabilities. The distinction may come down largely to the screen size: As The New York Times points out, the extra real estate could allow publications to more closely mirror their print formats, building a mix of editorial and advertising content into the space and thereby generating additional revenue.

The Kindle DX is optimized for textbooks, too. At least six schools are believed to be involved in a "pilot program" in which they'll hand out Kindles to incoming freshmen and allow them to get textbooks on the devices. Pace University, Case Western Reserve University, Reed College, Arizona State University, Princeton University, and the Darden School at the University of Virginia are the institutions that have been named.

Lots of new software features will be included in the new Kindle. Amazon's updated Kindle is said to come loaded with a build-in PDF reader and a "more fully functional Web browser" than its predecessor. The DX is also rumored to have a new function that'll allow you to create annotations within texts, in addition to the standard highlights and notes.


Have a blessed Day and Happy List Making!

Diana

7 comments:

Loree Lough said...

Wow. Guess all authors had better learn about this stuff and prepare for the electronic invasion (and take care to read the fine print in the "electronic rights" paragraphs of our contracts!)

These gadgets are pricey, but not as costly as they were a couple years ago. Plus, as time goes by, manufacturers are working out all the bugs.

Think I'll ask for one NEXT year! LOL

Jena said...

I say we all pool our resources and buy this dear woman an e-reader! Her bookshelves (and her husband) are just BEGGING us to do so. :-)

I know this is the way of the future, but I'll admit I'm reluctant. I still love the feel of a book in my hands... And come on, who doesn't like to sniff the binding of a brand new book? Something tells me sniffing a Kindle just ain't the same. But, alas... I'm sure I'll conform, soon enough. After all, I did sell all my cassettes and start listening to them there "small records" instead...

;-)

Katie Ganshert said...

Exciting times! I'd love to get an e-reader. STill hoping prices will drop a bit though. :)

Jeanette Levellie said...

Oh, Diana. Huge sigh. I know I must, but I hate to trade the silken touch and woodsy smell of a dear old book.

Millie Samuelson said...

Hey, awesome agent Diana, does this mean you're going to get each of your authors that Kindle gadget thingy for Christmas?? Just kidding, of course. . . BUT HEY, I second Jena's motion. Send us all an email, lovely Jena-Lynne. Weekend blessings! :-)

Diana Flegal said...

Loree;
I sure would LOVE to buy all my dear authors a book for Christmas but alas it is not in my current budget but if all you recently published authors sell as well as I am hoping well maybe one is in your future from me! ??
I too love the smell and feel of a book in my hands. Changes are not always for the better! But we must adapt- those that adapt are the ones that survive:-)

Diana Flegal said...

By the way girls- thanks for thinking of me in relation to a gift of a nook but please don't do so:-) I just wouldn't feel right about this:-) I appreciate the sentiment! I have absolutely some of the best authors!