Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Joyce Hart on The San Diego Christian Writer’s Conference


I had the privilege of attending the San Diego Christian Writer’s Guild’s conference held at Maranatha Chapel in Rancho Bernardo, San Diego, California last week, September 25 & 26th,

“Many of the major Christian Publishing Houses consider the SDCWG to be one of the most prolific groups in the country and look forward to participating each year.” says Guild president Jennie Gillespie. I agree with this statement. The authors came to their appointments well prepared to talk about their books. The Guild had required them to prepare a “one-sheet” for their meetings and I found this to be very helpful. I felt honored to be invited to this conference.

Two of my clients, Diana Wallis Taylor and Kimberlee Mendoza are members of the Guild; both are on the board for the conference. Diana Wallis Taylor is the author of Journey to the Well, the story of the Samaritan woman at Jacob’s well. This story is one of hope, redemption, and a life changed in an instant through a remarkable encounter. Jesus told her “everything she’d ever done.” Diana has a gift for Biblical fiction. Her book about Martha will be released in 2011 by Revell Publishing, the publisher of her debut book, Journey to the Well.

Here is full information about this conference:

Their web site is info@sandiegocwg.org

Size: Usually 170 or more.

When: The end of September, usually around the 24th or 25th.

Duration: Friday night & all day Saturday

Venue: Maranatha Chapel in Rancho Bernardo.

Lodging: Rancho Bernardo Radisson, special rate $99

Meals: Friday night is snacks & dessert, Saturday, Breakfast and Lunch are served at the church

Dress: California causal

Worship: Friday night and Saturday Morning are both opened with Worship.

Bookstore: Yes

Book signing: No

Faculty and conference composition: The faculty is outstanding. Keynote Speaker this year was Cecil Murphy. They have a good selection of editors from major publishers, also published authors and magazine editors. Dallas Jenkins, Film Maker was there as well. The conference is designed for all writers- beginners to professionals and those wondering if writing is what they should do.

Expenses: Conference cost is $165 for members, $185.00 for non-members. Hotel is on your own, but the Radisson offers a special rate.

I feel this is one of the better conferences, very professionally run. If you live close, I would recommend it for next year. Actually, there were people from far away who attended. San Diego is lovely in September. My husband went with me to San Diego; September 25th is our wedding anniversary.

6 comments:

Wandering Writer said...

You're right, Joyce. San Diego is beautiful in Sept. We have a Sept anniversary as well and used to spend it there annually when my husband had a trade show to attend there. Sounds like a great conference. Tempting.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up on this conference. I'm not too far a drive from San Diego.

Anonymous said...

Karen & Lynn:
I highly recommend this conference. It is well worth your time and if it's close, that's a plus

Anonymous said...

Ladies - I did not mean for this to come from anonymous. I haven't learned my way around the comment feature yet. Sorry - Joyce

Jeanette Levellie said...

Oooh, this makes me miss Southern CA, Joyce. I lived there most of my life until we moved to the cold/hot Midwest ten years ago. I may have to force myself back there...

Kathryn Bechen said...

I attended this conference this year and found it wonderful. The speakers were great and the consults with them most helpful. I enjoyed meeting you there Joyce.