Thursday, August 20, 2015

Time Management by Terry Burns

We've talked on this subject before but I'm wrestling with it right now and it's on my mind to address it again.

I had a cataract removed and as a result of the surgery I can't get glasses yet until it has healed sufficiently. That means a little bit of a focus problem and I can only work on the computer for about an hour before I have to quit for a while. Needless to say that has altered how I manage my time.

I can spend a full day working up a proposal, researching markets, and getting submissions out for a single client. When that time is chopped up into roughly one hour time slots it takes twice the time, probably more. With sixty clients that's a lot of time.

Of course incoming mail has to be worked, incoming submissions handled, correspondence with clients and editors, and . . . well, you get the picture. My yard work and gardening is benefiting from it as I need to go do something that does not involve eye strain.

This doesn't make me any different from anyone else as we all have challenges carving out the writing, editing, or in my case agenting duties. It is a reminder that the external forces that we have to deal with in doing this time management do change on us and the way we schedule our time has to change with it.

It's also a reminder that writing time does not just magically exist. We can't put it off until we retire, or until the kids are back in school or have left home, or waiting for anything that is eating up our time to go away. Life expands to fill available time and no matter what is going on in our life writing time will not exist unless we carve it out, protect it, and manage and prioritize our time to make it happen.

My eye will heal and I'll get my glasses adjusted and this will change soon. But I know something else is waiting in the wings, it always is. Life is always changing and there will always be a need to adjust . . . and manage my time.

3 comments:

Linda Glaz said...

Amen. Life happens, but you'll bounce back in no time! That's just your personality!!!

Jodie Wolfe said...

Praying for you as you heal, Terry. I can relate as I'm in the healing phase following surgery and can't do anything physical. You think it would be a great time to work on my writing, but I'm finding that I can't concentrate on anything for very long. It's hard to be still during these times.

Diana Flegal said...

Terry, It is so true. As life throws things at us we must adjust. Small increments at least move one forward. We have all heard the testimony of the published writer that set their alarm an hour earlier and eventually completed their manuscript. Prayers for healing coming your way :-)