Monday, August 24, 2015

Team Hartline! Rah, rah…by Linda S. Glaz



Team Hartline! Rah, rah…by Linda S. Glaz
Four years ago I tentatively sent my resume to Joyce Hart without a clue what to expect if she said “Yes!” She did. Now what?
I was an agent, or on my way to becoming one. What did I have to offer Hartline? I’d been a reviewer for romance sites for years. I was a final proofreader, first for Wild Rose Press, and then for White Rose Press, now Pelican Book Group. I’d been an assistant to my own agent Terry Burns for a couple years, and I belonged to numerous critique groups. Why crit groups? Because I am also a writer.
Still, how would the rest of them accept me? Many had been editors at large publishing houses, editors in their own rights, booksellers for decades. What could I offer this awesome team of agents?
I’m a firm believer that those who’ve made the mistakes: alcoholism, drug addiction, and the like, and who have come out of the lifestyle are the best to minister to those struggling. Could I offer authors anything? I’d certainly made all of the mistakes. Wrote everything wrong for eighteen years, sent things out all wrong for years, and though I’d attended dozens of conferences through the years, I didn’t think there was anything I could really learn.
There! I said it. I didn’t think there was anything more to learn. So I was stagnant, foolish, and going no place really fast. Like the proverbial snowball downhill, I was gaining momentum and freezing like a Popsicle in Alaska.
After mulling that over for a couple days, I realized I had plenty to offer after all. I had done it ALL WRONG! And who better to teach and work with folks anxious to do it all right.
How had I finally managed to get an agent, get my first novella published? My first book? My second book? My multi-book deal? Could I help steer other fledgling authors in the right direction?
Well, team Hartline was awesome. They held my hand, walked me through many things, and supported me at every turn on the path. They contacted me to see if I’d like help even before my asking. They were and are true brothers and sisters, not only in Christ, but in the industry.
They sent me clients! YES, as I got started, they sent me clients. And I learned they weren’t pity submissions, the agents at Hartline do this often for each other.
“Here, know you love a great romance, and I think this one would be better served by a female agent.”
“Linda, I’ve worked with this client before, but I’m having trouble getting her to understand the pure romance idea. Would you like to take a stab at it?”
“Linda, I’m overwhelmed with subs this week, would you like to take a look at a few?”
And to think I’d be worried whether or not I’d fit in.
A couple years later, I was able to do the same for my teammates.
HARTLINE IS A TEAM. These are amazing agents there to do a primo job at placing their clients. They are also there to support one another, lift each other up in prayer when needed, and to forge forward with the newest ideas and possibilities. They aren’t afraid of controversial works that have “brilliant” stamped all over them.
Yessir. We are a team. And I’m proud to be part of the team that has represented some of the best award-winning authors in the business today.

17 comments:

Jodie Wolfe said...

Great hearing your story about how you connected with Hartline.

Great agency and Linda is a wonderful agent. :)

Linda Glaz said...

Thanks, Jodie! It's been an adventure!

Tom Threadgill said...

Are you sure I'm not one of your "pity submissions"? :)

Linda Glaz said...

Ooh, if so, then I'm all about pity submissions. No, you had me with that first 14-word pitch! I was all in!

Terri Tiffany said...

I loved this post. I love that you aren't afraid to tell it all! After my week with you last week, I am even more grateful for all you went through as you have so much knowledge to share with writers. That counts a lot!

Linda Glaz said...

Terri, it's because I made all the mistakes that I did that I think I can help. The errors stand out glaringly!!! But you folks are dream clients to work with. That's a given!

Elaine Stock said...

I'm grateful that Hartline took you in under their loving wings because It's your belief in me that has been a major turning point in my writing life.

I've been watching Hartline's clients announce through the years their good news in publication and I'm thrilled for them all, and thrilled to call them my literary agency.

Linda Glaz said...

Always on the lookout for great new authors, and you certainly filled the bill, Elaine. So glad you're with us.

Joyce Hart said...


LInda - I am so glad you are a Hartline Agent. I am proud of all of our agents. I am proud of the high standards and integrity of you all. That means so much to me. You're a good agent and I'm pleased with the writers that you have helped with their writing careers.

Linda Glaz said...

Thanks, Joyce. I do love matching a client with just the right editor. It's been so much fun and really touches the heart when the perfect book hits the perfect editor! What an amazing group to work with!

Diana Flegal said...

Linda, You have been a terrific addition from day one :-) One of these days we are going to have the chance to meet up face to face, but until then, I am with you - so happy and proud to work with Hartline's team. Each agent brings a special something to the table. Kudos to Joyce for leading us well.

Linda Glaz said...

So glad to be part of it, Diana. You were such a great help in the beginning and sent so many submissions to me to be sure I had enough. I'll never forget all of your kindnesses.

Rick Barry said...

It's a solid bond when each individual sees the value of team as a whole. I'm glad to be rep'd by such a team! Blessings to all of you!

Linda Glaz said...

Thanks, Rick. It IS awesome to be part of this team, either agent or author!

Karen Campbell Prough said...

I think my agent is the best! And I kinda went a full circle with my books. Hartline was the first agency I pitched to ... years ago. But it wasn't to be at that time. My single book grew into three books and a great agent, named Linda Glaz, said, "Yes!" I was back to Hartline! Thank you, Linda and Hartline!

Linda Glaz said...

We're glad you did!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.