Monday, April 20, 2015

I Don’t Know Where I’m Going, But I Want to Get There Fast! By Linda S. Glaz



Sound familiar? Sound like the mindset of a new author?
“I think I’ll sit down and write a novel. It will be a bestseller in just weeks. I’m already planning how to spend the money!”
I don’t know about the rest of you as writers, but I have to admit, with a slight variation, this did go through my mind at some point. Have I ever said I’m pretty honest? That was over twenty years ago. I’ve since published six novels and two novellas. Have another releasing in December, but I’m not rich yet. Don’t have a bestseller, and am still waiting to save up enough to spend all at once on something awesome.
But I write! I no longer try to do it fast. I try to do it…well.
I try to understand the changes that have taken place the last few years and incorporate them into my writing instead of fighting them. I work on deep POV and try to make my characters stronger, better, more believable. I want the plot to flow, make sense, transition well. In other words, I have a better clue where I’m going and how I plan to get there.
As an agent, I expect the same from the authors I work with. I don’t make suggestions and send changes only to let them know and then see the work back on my desk two hours later. “A complete rewrite? No problem, Linda. I’ll have it to you by morning.”
They take their time to get it right. Or at the least, make it better.
If your intent is to be the next Brandilyn Collins or Ted Dekker overnight, I don’t want to see your proposal unless you’re doing the work to go with it. And even then, only if you have a sincere heart that is willing to learn.
However, if you want to be a bestselling millionaire by next week, and you have the story to get you there, we’ll talk about it! $$$ Huge smile on my face!
Seriously, there is no substitute for hard work. A teachable spirit. A willing heart to learn and learn and learn, and then work some more!

No comments: