Wednesday, May 28, 2014

7 Life Hacks for Writers by Diana Flegal


Life Hack is a relatively new term to me yet I have been looking for shortcuts and the best way to do things most of my life.


Wikipedia defines it:


Life hacking refers to any trick, shortcut, skill, or novelty method that increases productivity and efficiency, in all walks of life. In other words, anything that solves an everyday problem in an inspired, ingenious manner.


Coined in the 1980s in hacker culture, the term became popularized in the blogosphere and is primarily used by computer experts who suffer from information overload or those with a playful curiosity in the ways they can accelerate their workflow in ways other than programming.


Twitter: @LifeHacker that will offer you a lot of useful information and DIY tips.


MashGeek, a blog curating digital lifehacking articles since May 2011, was founded by Karan Goel to help people become more productive by using technology.[11]


How can writers life hack and what would that look like?


OhLife is a simple email-based journal. It is not a social network or a blog - it's a place for you to privately remember your memorable days. They email you questions like, "How was your day?" and you answer the email which then stores your note.


What if you answered the questions as a character in your WIP (work in progress)?  It would definitely be a way to 'get inside your character's head'. And your answers would be stored and categorized for you.


One of the best and simplest editing tools for an author to employ is to 'read their manuscript out loud'.


People keep swiping your pens? 1000 Life Hacks offers this tip.


How to write long papers from lifehackable.com I am curious to know if this would work writing a novella? Worth a try.

Buzz Feed offers some life hacks here. I think #11 is great for most writers home offices. What do you think?


Five Social Media Hacks for more effective branding.


Having trouble managing your time? Here are 6 Tools to Help You Save Time Writing that might help.


I hope you have found some hacks here that will enable you to be more productive and find extra time to spend with your family and loved ones this summer!


Share a shortcut you employ in writing or let us know of an article or site that you have found useful.


Just for fun. Keep scrolling down until you see the bacon pancakes. Bam!









5 comments:

anne said...

Thanks for the article! I had to smile about the "nobody steals red pens" life hack. Poor discriminated against red pens. :)

Sherry Boykin said...

A quick(er) way to get great material out of my head and onto the page is to play a mock game of Taboo before I start writing. I put the subject I'm writing about at the top of a piece of paper, and then take 30 seconds to write down everything that immediately comes to mind about that subject. What I end up with are predictable, mundane ways to approach my topic. Then I force myself to write without using anything I've jotted down on my paper. That usually leaves me with a fresh, original twist to my approach on even a slightly boring topic.

Diana Flegal said...

Ha! It's true Joe Joe- unless it is Christmas time and I am addressing cards. Then I search for a red pen. :-)
Sherry- what a great idea. I really like that!

Linda Glaz said...

Best tip for authors in the entire world is to read the manuscript out loud. Well, the best tip is to write a story, then read out loud!

Terry Burns said...

Agree on the reading out loud, Linda, only I like Saundra to read it to me (like while I'm driving us somewhere). When I read aloud myself I have a tendency to read what I think I said instead of what is written. When somebody reads it to me I hear things I need to fix.