Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Power of the Right Word Delivered at the Right Time by Diana Flegal


"A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pitchers of silver". Proverbs 25:11

While I am a fan of many fiction authors and read my fair share of fiction titles, of late it has been the nonfiction titles that have been a cup of cold water, refreshing my weary soul.

Two books that have impacted me most recently are: Hinds Feet in High Places by Hannah Hurnard and The Sweet Side of Suffering by Esther M. Lovejoy.

I had attempted to read Hind's Feet in college years ago. Everyone was buzzing about it. But I didn't 'get it' then. After suffering consecutive years of large loss, and getting to a fairly healthy place, an onion layer was peeled back and at the advice of several mentors, I picked it up.

It wrecked me. Put me on the operating table and asked me some tough questions all the while blanketing me with incredible Fatherly love. Have you had to hold the hands of sorrow and suffering? Seems so many I know have, and are.

The second book, The Sweet Side of Suffering, I am using each morning in my devotions. This book is one I represented and we sold to Discovery House publishers. Of course I had read it- several years ago. Recently I took it off my shelf thinking I might send it to a friend going through a tough time. The Holy Spirit nudged me to read it for myself. It has been a lot of my undoing, but I voluntarily reach for it each morning- wanting to press forward and learn all I can from this present season of suffering.

I share this excerpt here from page 104-105:

So often in our suffering we face situations for which we truly need an Almighty God. We face problems that are way beyond the scope of human help. We face needs that can't be met by even the most loving friend. We need a powerful and mighty God that can do the impossible. ... A. B. Simpson, a great man of God from the 19th century, said that God "is able to do for us all that we need a God for." Suffering makes us keenly aware of that need as it pushes us way beyond our finite limitations. We realize what little might we have as we face the giants of adversity, often feeling overwhelmed and drained. We are not almighty, and we find that there is much that "we need a God for".  

Truth plus comfort. Powerful life giving words. This book is in it's third printing. No surprise, it's words resonate with many.

The cool thing though, is that God used me to get a book into print desiring to help others, and turns around and offers me it's treasures just when I am needing it  #onlyGod :-)

What nonfiction title have you read recently that has encouraged you, come along side and cheered you on? Please share it with us.

And you nonfiction authors- press on despite not having that stellar platform. Write  the words God is impressing upon your heart. In His time they will be life to the bones of some weary traveler.









5 comments:

Lora said...

The Spiritual Life by Evelyn Underhill. I had to stop every few pages and wipe away the tears.

Diana Flegal said...

Lora, I will check that book out. Thanks :-)

Unknown said...

I recently listened to The Christian Atheist by Craig Groeschel. I admit, when it began I pegged it as another "worldly Christian" type of book. Not a bad thing, but been there read that. By the time he wraps it up, though, it all seemed to hit home at once. I especially like his vision of three lines in the sand--this is at the end of the book. I realized that I've crossed the first two lines, and am comfortable in my salvation and in my work for The Lord. That's the problem. That third line represents a full surrender of my life to God. Craig made me realize that I wasn't quite there. And, as these things tend to happen, our guest pastor preached on the same subject the following Sunday. Guess it's time to cross that line.

Diana Flegal said...

Ron, I chuckled when you said about your Pastor hitting on the same thing. God gangs up on me like that too- all because He has more for us.
I heard of that book and was intrigued. I will def. put it on my wish list. Thank you for sharing.

Diana Flegal said...

Ron, I chuckled when you said about your Pastor hitting on the same thing. God gangs up on me like that too- all because He has more for us.
I heard of that book and was intrigued. I will def. put it on my wish list. Thank you for sharing.