Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Homophone by Diana Flegal




On a recent visit to a blog there was a discussion re Homophones.

As an agent I have seen them come across my desk in professionally edited proposals and manuscripts.

What is a Homophone? A word that sounds like another word but has a different meaning.

For example: "aye", "eye" and "I".  Or Tach / tack. Knave/ Nave. Nous/ Noose. Heroin/ Heroine .
The writer of this blog had come across a homophone in a published Memoir recently.
These guys are tricky, making it past spell check, experienced veteran proof readers and freelance editors and often through the final stages into a printed- published title.
Something to look out for in your own edits and writing. But do not lay awake at night wondering if that is why your manuscript was rejected. As you see here, it can slip by the best paid professional. It will not cause your manuscript to be passed over if one appears in your story.

Typos happen. I saw the Bumper Sticker.

You have now been given a word that will expand your Scrabble skills and help you out in a game of Trivial Pursuit or Cranium.  (Cranium is one of my favorites; I love the feel and smell of colored dough in my hand. Have at it Freudians).

For a detailed list of Homophones go to http://www.homophone.com/
It is a fun place to spend some time. After all, a misread Homophone in a lover’s breakup letter could open a door to a terrific Suspense Fiction plot, murder happens with less provocation. Or how about a divorce settlement… A Doctors diagnosis report… The list goes on and on. I am not a writer, just an appreciator of one, but I see HUGE possibilities here. 

We all best get back to work. I must not dessert my post.

Diana

3 comments:

Andy Scheer, Hartline Literary said...

Another set of triples:
peak, peek, and pique

Diana Flegal said...

Good ones Andy. Thank you for sharing.

Linda Glaz said...

Oh, yeah. Andy hit the ones that I struggle with. I have to look up two of them every time I use them. Peaked and piqued.