Monday, February 6, 2012

Hamster on a Wheel by Linda S. Glaz

When do you reach the point where you feel like you are merely a hamster running on a wheel? Is all this work in the book industry, or any other career for that matter, worth the grief? When do you decide whether or not you are doing what God intended for your life? If He is the one leading your direction, you should be doing well, right? And therefore, God is the one who wants your book to be a bestseller!

I know plenty of agents and editors have received that very message in a hopeful query. "God told me to write this book. And He led me to your agency/publishing house." And therefore, the author should be accepted immediately and all should move forward at the speed of light.

Wrong! At the least, not necessarily.

Gads, we all want to believe that is what God wants for us, but just because he has given us talent in a field, we still have to develop it, cry, sweat, moan, and work until we feel we have nothing left but running on the wheel. Not that some folks don't automatically see success, but it is important to understand that often there are incredibly talented people who may never see publication. Never find the gold pot of coins.

You simply have to ask yourself, are you doing what is God's will for your life. If not, you might just be a hamster tiring out on a wheel, or, you might be missing the most important part--drawing closer to God to see what He intends for your life. What we want and what He has planned can often be polar opposites. And if you are miles from God's ear, how will you know if He whispers His will? Draw closer and listen; it might be an important break to take.

Be blessed all and happy writing...

9 comments:

Rick Barry said...

Nice points, Linda. I especially appreciate your statement, "What we want and what He has planned can often be polar opposites." This truth applies to publishing and to multiple other arenas of life. The fact that a person can picture himself/herself singing in the Metropolitan Opera, or playing football in the NFL, acting on Broadway, etc., doesn't guarantee that's God's intention.

I will dare to suggest that the person who sings only in local church services or plays ball only with the neighborhood kids might be having more of a long-lasting and personal impact than many big-name stars. However, if the Lord intends to broaden a person's sphere of influence, then He will certainly do so in His time.

Thanks for your post!

Jeanette Levellie said...

I love these thoughts, Linda. Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

My friend Cammie says that publication is not the goal of the "game;" knowing God is. If we make publication our goal rather than seeking Jesus' heart, we may fumble.

I pray that my book touches many lives for God. But I also believe the thank you notes and cards of encouragement to friends make a huge difference.

And another thing: If God spoke to an author to send their ms. to a certain agent, would He not also speak to the agent? Aha.

Linda Glaz said...

Yeah, Jeanette, I should be listening better. And Rick, I loved your point. It reminded me of what my daughter, Rachel said when I asked her if she or Rob ever wanted to win a Tony. She told me they wouldn't be comfortable in that lifestyle. They are happy doing prof theatre on a smaller scale and teaching between shows. I know they are where they believe God put them. They have such tender hearts for the theatre community which can contain so many hurting souls. Funny how our kids can come back to spiritually teach us. I want to be where God wants me; I only wish it weren't so diff to tell sometimes just where that is...

Timothy Fish said...

This weekend, I had the humbling experience of listening to my Kindle read what my readers have said is the best book I have written, with as much emotion as a computer can muster. What was I thinking? But then, I’ve never thought my writing was inspired by God or even that I have a special calling on my life to be a writer. About all I can hope for is that he will bless my efforts. And that he has done. Monetarily, my results are pitiful, resulting in only a few thousand dollars return on my investment, but the process of writing and self-promotion and writing about writing has opened doors of opportunity to converse with people that I would have never encountered otherwise. I doubt I’ll ever be a well known author. I’m not sure I want to be. But really, isn’t the important thing that we can say that we did what we could for those we encounter along the way?

Linda Glaz said...

I agree, Timothy, now you make me wonder what I wanna be when I grow up!

Davalyn Spencer said...

Yes. It is so important to recognize the voice of our Shepherd. That's been my prayer lately, and it has resulted in risk-taking I would have avoided otherwise. To my loss. My role always seems to be one of obedience. Crazy how that works.

Wandering Writer said...

As a speaker I came to the realization that my ministry is to smaller churches who can't afford the big-bucks speakers. That doesn't diminish me as a speaker (I've won awards) but it says that God has a plan and a place for me. I'm content. Your post is another affirmation. Thanks.

Jennifer said...

Good point Linda! A thought I need to remember, leaning close to the One who holds the answers...

Heather Marsten said...

Oh Darn, and I was hoping because God wants me to write my memoir, He would make it easier LOL

What came to mind when I read your post was the parable of the talents - we have to work to increase our talents - not bury them in the ground, but invest them and increase. I am investing in learning how to write better so I can do the book and hopefully God will say, "Well done..."

Have a blessed day.
Heather