Monday, June 9, 2014

Making New Friends and Greeting Old Ones by Linda S. Glaz



I attended a fairly new and emerging film/writers conference this weekend. Glory Reelz. Had a great time. I was able to meet up with some old friends I’ve met along the way and had the opportunity of making many new ones.
The combination of novel writers, screenplays, producers, directors, and actors combined all of my loves into one. I love writing—that’s a given. And then theatre, singers, movies…woohoo. It doesn’t get any better than that.
Cec Murphy was there, Gail Gaymer Martin, Doc Benson, EN Joy, and TJ Hemphill to name just a few. And a lovely intimate environment; attendees to presenters were about 2 or 3 to one. So everyone had numerous opportunities to really hash out the industry, sharing the most intricate details of who, what, where, and why. And maybe even…really??!!
All conferences bring so much to the table for emerging artists, but the small, intimate conference Glory Reelz was absolutely amazing. A lot of folks gripe about Detroit. About bringing conferences and activities to Detroit, but Glory Reelz proved them wrong. It was a hit. And Detroit proved how hospitable it can be. The folks here are talented, friendly, and can’t wait to show what they can do.
Independent films from all over the country were sent in and judged. Many just downright amazing. So what brings directors and producers as well as writers to Detroit? A group of folks anxious to network, learn, and share what they know. A bunch of like-minded people who just want to spend some time with folks who ‘get it’ and are willing to talk about it.
What did you do this weekend?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I wanted to go to that! My son's graduation open house was this weekend, though. Apparently it's frowned up for the father to be absent. Maybe next year...

Linda Glaz said...

Yes, Ron. That would have earned you toilet brush duty for the rest of your natural life and on into heaven. Trust me on that. Besides, I know you, you wouldn't have missed his graduation party for anything!

sheri said...

For the 3rd annual event, it was a great time. A little chaotic in the am but it evened out. I loved the intimacy of it and I'm so blessed to have had Linda Glaz and others out to share their wisdom and expertise. I pray we continue to serve in the capacity in which we've been called and all are satisfied!

Linda Glaz said...

I can see this really expanding. Wonderful bunch of people!