Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Favorite Reading Places by Andy Scheer

I just set up my backyard hammock.

I'm a little late this year, but we were out of town over the Memorial Day weekend. The past couple weeks, Colorado has seen day after day of afternoon thunder and hail storms, which reduced the temptation to read outside.

But the forecast looks fine, and the maple in the corner of the backyard provides shade. What could be a finer place for reading?

I have a thick novel ready for some serious hammock time. A friend's book just released, and I've barely begun the story. The hammock beckons.

Still, even a shaded backyard hammock under Colorado skies doesn't quite measure up to the best reading place I've ever experienced. That came more than thirty years ago, and I've been longing for it since.

In early June I'd driven to Yellowstone National Park, looking forward to a week of tent camping. A late-season heavy snowfall changed my plans. I booked a spartan room in the rustic Old Faithful Lodge. The snow fell all day, keeping me inside.

No matter. I took a thick mass paperback novel and found an overstuffed chair on the second floor balcony overlooking the five-story log atrium and the huge stone fireplace. I was set for a nearly perfect day.

Our current house has a modest fireplace. Fall through spring, if the evenings aren't too windy, I still love to build a fire, settle into a recliner, and lose myself in a story.

Someday I hope to go back to Yellowstone – and hope for snow. Until then, I'm happy with my hammock.

Where's your favorite reading place?

1 comment:

Linda Glaz said...

Probably way too much info, but in the tub! If no one bothered me, I could stay there all day until I was an old withered prune! I read for work behind the computer and for enjoyment in the tub! Just remember to keep the kindle in a plastic cover!