Monday, August 20, 2012

Blog or Website? By Linda S. Glaz

A lot of discussion of online presence is going on at my clients’ loop. And one of the questions is:
Is it better to blog or to maintain a website or have both?
Most folks have been in agreement that a blog can serve the same purpose as a website only it gets a fresh makeover every time you leave a new post. You can have the same tabs, links, etc. without being static.
Why would you want to do that? Why not just set the post and leave it alone?
People aren’t going to return to see and read the same old things. You have the opportunity on a blog to review books, interview your favorite authors, and post pictures of your cats and dogs that nobody really wants to see on either one. But hey, you paid $2000 for Rover, so why not? With a blog you have the chance to keep it fresh.
What about a website? The good news here is you can do the website and not be bothered with daily/weekly/monthly maintenance. You set it and go. A new book out? You might add that, but you don’t have the regular changes that you would be investing in a blog.
Then why did my client group choose blogs?
Easy answer. Your updated posts are driving people new and old to your blog. They interact with you. You and they learn new things about the industry. You have the opportunity to voice your opinion. On ANY topic you choose. I know a few folks who maintain 4-6 blogs. All on different topics. A blog is little more than someone digging deep inside and posting their thoughts on a topic. (I guess you can see where blogs might be WAAAAY more information than you’d want) But you’ll soon find those who share your passion for writing, Rover, or any number of topics and can visit like an old friend.
Just remember, if bloggers visit your site, reciprocate, or you find them hanging around much.
Happy blogging!

3 comments:

Wandering Writer said...

I agree. Both are good but blogs are fresher and more apt to attract attention. I use Blogger and it allows pages to be added. I've used that as the way to showcase my books and also my speaking. My website is still there as my more professional face.

Patty Wysong said...

I love that we can combine our website and blog. As long as it's well organized, the benefits are great. =]

Karla Akins said...

Well said!