Monday, July 16, 2012

WE’RE HAVIN’ A HEAT WAVE…Linda S. Glaz

Anyone else remember the words? Some lady dancin' around in the tropics, fruit on her head, maracas clanking? I have a feeling a lot of folks are singing that song this summer. I know I am and I’d rather be singing, BABY IT’S COLD OUTSIDE.
Never a warm weather person, not even as a kid, I’m feeling plenty blue this summer as the tomato plants wither, the walks in the morning become more like hours in the sauna, and breathing takes on a new face—difficult!
But heat waves can also trigger some wonderful summer reading. Have you curled up in front of the A/C this summer with a good book, print or electronic, in your hands along with an iced mocha coffee? If so, what would your summer recommendation be?
I read the first Clark suspense I’ve read in a while. But the sameness overwhelmed me and I think my days of reading her books are over. But I finished Tim Downs Bug Man series, and I have to say he is without a doubt one of my all-time favorite authors. Am right now finishing Raquel Byrnes Ruby Dawn, and I love it. She wrote characters that drew me right in. Am finishing Mothers and Daughters by Teena Stewart, and loved the delightful historical romance Love on the Range by Jessica Nelson. Oddly enough, she’s a crit partner, and I’ve read it a couple times before, but after all the tweaks and such, I enjoyed reading it again. The same with Cheryl Martin’s Pineapple series for kids. Never thought I’d be looking forward to the middler’s book coming out, but her characters are adorable.
Janet Evanovich, Stephanie Plum series. Though her books sometimes contribute to the heat wave, I still enjoy the stories. While it’s long since been time for the series to end and the melodrama to finally play out, her humor just never ends. I can’t get enough of Grandma Mazur and her blue-green-purple-pink, or whatever color hair she’s sporting at the moment. Or the big-barrel gun she hides in her purse. I also reread some of Dee Henderson’s books. Love her suspense with a dash of romance. Well written.
Avoided Shades of Grey, even I know what NOT to read in a heat wave. Besides, do we really need another book that rides the shirttails of hormones?
And, of course, in the midst of the well knowns, plenty of novels by new authors who I’ve brought on board. Some wonderful reads there.
What are you reading to cool down the heat wave this summer? Any brilliant reads you’d like to share?

4 comments:

Davalyn Spencer said...

Just finished Titanic: Legacy of Betrayal, an e-book by Kathleen Kovach and Paul Moldenhauer. At first I feared a repeat of the movie, but not even! A great historical/contemporary piece with a modern romance. Credible characters, that reflect a distinct difference in the two time periods. What could be cooler for the summer than an iceberg?

I'm also reading Submerged by Dani Pettrey. Great for the summer since it takes place in Alaska. But I'm captivated by the writing: strong verbs, great sensory detail. Guess you can tell that I'm reading as a writer. A great suspenseful romance.

Heather Day Gilbert said...

I've recently enjoyed THE TELLING by Mike Duran (spec. fic) and INTO THE FREE by Julie Cantrell. I enjoyed reviewing them on my blog, since they were both extremely well-written and kept me reading straight through to the end! But some days, I just feel like sitting on the porch (that iced mocha sounds GOOD!) and reading some Agatha Christie. It just doesn't get any better than that!

Andy Scheer said...

For a novel that makes you feel cold, consider "Polar Star" by Martin Cruz Smith. And save Clive Cussler's "Sahara" for January.

sally apokedak said...

I also read THE TELLING, by Mike Duran, recently. I really liked it. I'm in the middle of a full novel critique for a friend right now and also trying to finish my WIP this month, so no curling up with novels for me this summer.

I haven't even kept up with Jonathan Rogers Flannery O'Connor Summer Reading club. So bummed about that. I hope I can go back and catch up at some point. Or maybe just get over the guilt and jump back in media res. :)