Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Guilty Pleasures of Summer Reading by Diana Flegal

It is officially summer and it is heating up here in Asheville. Yesterday while running an errand I passed my local East Asheville Library. Impulsively I made a u-turn and pulled up to the front door.

There is just something about summer and books for me. I believe it is because some of my fondest memories were summer days when walks with my mother ended at the library, where I would check out a weeks worth of books and we would carry them home. After completing my chores, I'd lie on a blanket in the back yard or under my canopy bed with a book. Nancy Drew's and a Nurse Mystery series with a mystery solving female, Cindy Ames, were my companions.

Nancy Drew is a fictional character in a mystery fiction series created by publisher Edward Stratemeyer. The character first appeared in 1930; the books have been ghostwritten by a number of authors and are published under the collective pseudonym Carolyn Keene.[1] Over the decades the character has evolved in response to changes in US culture and tastes. The books were extensively revised, beginning in 1959
Wikipedia


Cherryamessn1.jpgCherry Ames is the central character in a series of 27 mystery novels with hospital settings published by Grosset & Dunlap between 1943 and 1968.The series stars a job-hopping, mystery-solving nurse in the Nancy Drew mold, named Cherry Ames. Cherry joins the Army Nurse Corps, and, after the war, she moves to Greenwich Village. Whenever Cherry isn't working with the Visiting Nurse Service, Dr. Joe sends her on assignments in various parts of the country.
Wikipedia  

Yesterday I choose a new mystery author, Laura Childs and her Tea Shop Mystery series title, Oolong Dead as well as Maeve Binchy's, Heart and Soul. Maeve is a fav author of mine that passed away last year. I will miss her new titles, but know I will revisit many of my favorites again.  

I feel guilty. Just a little.

I have a client manuscript I need to finish and submissions on my desk, but I will manage to carve out some evening reading- I must. After all it is summertime!

What is in your reading stack?

Enjoy!

Diana





2 comments:

Sandra Ardoin said...

I'm reading Tamera Alexander's To Whisper Her Name. I'll also be reading Carol Cox's Trouble in Store. Plus, I have a whole passel of Kindle books to read. Summer's gonna fly by!

Robin Bayne said...

I loved The Hidden Staircase!!! Just bought an old gothic fave from my youth-- Phyllis Whitney's "Secret of the Emerald Star." Fun to go back and re-read.