Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Don't Rush It by Andy Scheer


With the deadline approaching, I drew a blank. More troubling, I didn't know why.

For the past year as a columnist for the magazine, I've been able to count on a topic occurring in time.

But Monday, three days before the deadline, my mental cupboard was still bare. And other commitments for the next two days would keep me away from the keyboard. So I threw myself on the mercy of the editor and asked for a week's extension.

No problem, she said.

Even with the deadline pressure relieved, nothing came to mind. I told myself I'd write it the next Saturday, and I turned my mind to other projects.

Thursday the topic arrived in my email in-box—twice. Two distinct news items converged to illustrate a development of interest to the column's readers. I knew what I'd write about on Saturday.

But I forgot to tell my subconscious. About 2 a.m. Friday I awoke, my brain racing with ideas for how I'd develop the article. If I wanted to get back to sleep, I had to record those thoughts. I took a sheet from a page-a-day calendar into the bathroom, turned on the light, and filled a page.

Saturday morning the notes on the back of the Dilbert page still made sense, and the column's text fell into place.

Next time the ideas don't come, maybe I'll trust that I simply need to wait.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

This is great encouragement to me. I have had this many times. Most recently with my WIP. I wanted to be ready for ACFW 2013. I think it needs more time. So hard to be patient, but so worth what emerges.

Linda Glaz said...

So many times, just waiting for inspiration! I find a couple miles at the track in nice weather brings out lots of ideas, some good...some not so good, erggh. But it does help to refresh the brain!

Jodie Wolfe said...

I often am scrambling to come up with a topic for home school articles I write. Once I have the topic, the ideas usually flow quite well. Every once in a while the Lord gives me an idea in advance, but most times I'm relying upon Him to give me the inspiration.

I have an article due in 2 1/2 weeks, but still no idea has presented itself yet. I guess I need to keep praying. :)

Michele Huey said...

I wake up every Friday morning scared I won't have an idea for my weekly devotional newspaper column, which I've been writing for 16 years. I ran out of Michele long ago. I pray, "Lord, what do You want to say?" He's never failed me yet. But it's still scary facing that blank screen. Still learning trust, still learning Hebrews 13:5. Thanks for sharing.

Davalyn Spencer said...

My problem is my tendency to consider "wait" a four-letter word to purge from my vocabulary. But as you pointed out, that word holds numerous blessings.

Thanks for the great reminder.

Andy Scheer said...

Waiting is never my first choice, but I'd like to think there's a reason when the words just don't come.